Monday, November 30, 2015

Monday Memories

I am not a musician. 

I have played the violin (rather badly) and the piano (somewhat better), and I have always enjoyed choral singing.  But I am not one of those gifted few who can sit down and make the kind of music that makes someone's heart soar to God.

No, I am not a musician.

I do, however, appreciate and love music.  It is one of the languages of my heart.

I enjoy good, thoughtful, well-written lyrics; but the notes with the melody, the harmonies, the varied tempo, and dynamics are what I love the most.  I can stand in my kitchen sometimes with the music going in the background and suddenly I forget everything else around me as I hear the notes.  Music can put me on my tip-toes, holding my breath as I wait for the story of the notes to unfold.  When it is finished and I come back to earth, it is to discover tears on my face.

Last weekend was the 68th annual performance by the Alabama Civic Chorale of Handel's Messiah.

I have attended almost every one of these since we moved to Alabama. 

This year was the best one I have heard them perform.  I regretted that they did not do the full oratorio.  However since that would last over 2 hours, I suppose I understand. 

As we come to the end of a month of remembering to give thanks to God for all He has done for us (and may that not be restricted to just one month of the year!), and prepare to begin the season of Advent, may our focus be on the glory of Who God Is.  May we focus on celebrating the first coming of our Saviour.  And may we eagerly prepare for and anticipate His glorious return.

May the music of the season make your hearts fly to Him.

His peace to your hearts and homes.






No comments: