Monday, April 28, 2014

Weekend Wrap-Up

Wow, what a weekend!

Mr. Marvelous and I have been curious about a garden business about an hour away from us called Petals From The Past.  We kept hearing about them from various people, and were interested in their work to preserve heirloom species, but we just never quite got around to going there.

Saturday morning I packed a picnic and we took off and headed south to Jemison.  It was sunny and warm and the perfect day to wander through a garden. 









I hope one day my scuppernongs look this nice!

On the way home we stopped at Lowe's for some lumber so we could come home and build this...





We changed our homeowner's insurance this year to a different company, which costs about half of what our old company was after the latest rate hike. Their only request was that we fence off this drop-off.  For that much of a reduction in price, you bet we will build a fence!









After building the fence, Mr. Marvelous got busy tilling and planting.  Can you see the artichoke plants in the picture?  I'm excited about those.  We love artichokes and have tried ~ unsuccessfully ~ to raise them in the past.  I'm hoping that this year will be the magic year for them.

Meanwhile I cleaned up the herb beds and got the lemon balm, tarragon and parsley planted.



In between doing that and helping with the fence I got to work on this.











Before







And after.  This is just the very beginning of the project.  I figured that since the next few days are supposed to be rainy, stormy and generally indoor days, I will finish it up when I can not go outside.











Saturday night was grilling hamburgers on the back porch while sitting in the swing and lying in the hammock.  Mr. Marvelous makes the world's best hamburgers!

Sunday morning was a wonderful morning of worship, followed by a homegrown meal (Mom's version of rotisserie rooster).  

The thunder and rain waited on us to finish and the rest of the afternoon was spent napping while listening to the music of the weather.

I got a little behind on the housework over the weekend.  Curiously enough, rather than complain about a less than perfect house, Mr. Marvelous just kept talking about how much fun we had spending the day working beside each other.

No comments: