Monday, November 03, 2008

Yesterday Dan and I went to a new area in our new home-town. I know where we ended, I had directions, so I know how we got there, but I really have no idea where all we went in the process. It was such a pretty trip, though. Unfortunately, we could not stop along the narrow, winding road for me to take pictures, but they would have been gorgeous. This part of Alabama has some of the prettiest places to drive and enjoy fall colors. We ended at the St. Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church. I know it seems an odd place for a couple of conservative Presbyterians to be on November 2 (reformation Sunday), but there was a purpose to the whole trip. Yesterday Saint Nicholas had their annual food festival. They open up the parish hall for a meal for the community and have a little gift shop, a bakery and LOTS of folks from the area who come in to enjoy the fellowship. The bishop was even there in full robes, hat and everything! My purpose was to try and find someone who was familiar with the art of pysanky who might be willing to teach me how to do it. I think I was successful; the lady in the gift shop took my name and number to pass along to the lady who does this, so we'll see what happens. I'm going to buy a map today, so that I can figure out where we were. I love maps and looking at my routes and trips on maps. Somehow the computer is just not quite the same as looking at the trip on paper.
I have decided that today I have got to stop being quite so lazy and get busy with some projects that need to be completed. I tend to get impatient with people (OK, with Dan) when they don't use their time wisely but I realized over the weekend that I am just not being a very good steward of my time and energy myself. Painful realization!
My friend Ashley over at Sassygalglamour.com is encouraging folks to take time this month to list what we are thankful for. Today as we head into the election tomorrow I am thankful that my hope is NOT in the political process. Whatever happens tomorrow is important but even more important is the realization that God is in control and my hope is in Him.

No comments: