Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I am moving oh so slowly this morning and that has got to stop as soon as I finish this post because after all, it is TUESDAY! I like Tuesdays. I have my piano lesson on Tuesdays. I have decided that 40-60 minutes of practice is not going to be enough so I am either going to have to start practicing twice a day or just double my time. I am enjoying this so much, though.
Yesterday I got to talk to my brother John. John is an amazing man. He is a PhD in geology and very, very smart. After he got his PhD he got a letter to his house one day addressed to Dr. John Reed. His oldest daughter had the privilege of collecting the mail that day with one of her friends helping her. The little friend was quite impressed when she saw that Mary Kate's Daddy was a DOCTOR! She commented on that and Mary Kate told her it was OK; he was just a rock doctor, not a people doctor. John will always be the Rock Doc in the family since that incident! John redeems the time better than anyone else I know. It doesn't matter that his body will not let him go to an office or do any kind of work. He lays in bed and writes books and articles about how a Christian should respond to scientific fallacy. He is not only a scientist but an apologist as well. I am not a scientist and not nearly as smart as John, but I can learn from his example that my time should be spent in doing what God has given me to do each day. Sitting and thinking up excuses for why I can not do what God has told me to do (and created me to do!) is a dreadful waste of time. We often hear preachers preaching about tithing income and some of them will even touch on tithing our time. Over the past 9 years, John has preached to me through the example of his life about tithing my energy and using it to bring glory and honor to God.

Today I am thankful for my family and the heritage of faith that I have. I encourage anyone who reads who does not have this kind of heritage to start one! You may not have had a Grandaddy and Granny like mine who prayed over their children and grandchildren and their spouses twice daily. You may not have had a Mama and Daddy like mine who do the same thing. But you can be that kind of Mama or Daddy or Granny or Grandaddy for your children and let that heritage start with you.

No comments: