Sunday, May 12, 2013

Things I Have Learned From My Son

I figured I would conclude the Lessons Learned/Mother's Day Series, with things I have learned from my son.

  1. One of the top three best things in life is being a Mom (right up there with being a Christ-follower and being Mr. Marvelous' wife).
  2. Raising children is an adventure.  And most of the time I was just wingin' it.
  3. Make sure your child knows that they are more important than stuff.
  4. Encourage your child's enthusiasms and passion.
  5. Encourage your child to have balance in their life.
  6. It's easier if you give yourself and your family permission to be less than 100% perfect.
  7. In your imperfections, mistakes, and sin, teach your children how to react to these things and handle them in a manner that pleases God.
  8. Don't spend too much time bragging to everyone about how wonderful your child is.  In the first place, as soon as you do that is inevitably when they are going to do something especially knuckle-headed.  In the second place, you don't know what wounds you are inflicting on someone whose child is not doing particularly well at that moment.
  9. It is not a good idea to expect a person in their teens or20's to have the same maturity that you have in your 40's and 50's.   Remember how you got there?
  10. Spending time being with someone you love is important.
  11. Grace.  This man has taught me so much about grace.  He has extended grace freely on a daily basis to his Mom.  
  12. Personality quirks make life a LOT more fun!
  13. Encouraging independence is not easy for a Mom.
  14. Don't hover.
  15. Being Mom to Mr. Marvelous Jr is....marvelous!
Thanks, Son!  I love you!

No comments: