Thursday, May 16, 2013

Enchanted

I am enchanted by the fairies.  For years I have seen bits and pieces of what people term "Fairy Gardens" and I have always been interested in these.  Sometimes you just have to quit thinking about ideas and actually DO something about them.  This past weekend was the time.

Mother's Day.  A sick husband.  An exhausted son (he works 2 jobs most days).  Both men napping all afternoon.  Mom at loose ends.  I finally jumped into Pinterest and caught the bug.  I found some amazing things people have done with "Fairy Gardens" and "Miniature Gardens".  I was off and running!

A number of years ago, I was given my Granny's old stock pot.  It has been a treasure to me because my Granny was a treasure.  I think I cried the day it sprung a leak.  I have been trying to figure out how to use it ever since.  A miniature garden has always been in my mind for it and I decided it was time to fix it up.


So I took a pot.


Terribly blurry, but do you see the hole?  Sigh!

































And I went on a rock hunt.  Mr. Marvelous was thrilled.  Our gardens seem to be overly generous in giving us rocks.  If you need any, please feel free to give me a call.







 
 Not liking to think about what might be living in this hole, I moved on to the back yard.  I did NOT scream, I don't care what anyone says.


This is the water source for our honey bees when we get them.  Isn't Mr. Marvelous marvelous to think of this?!



Peach pit.  Guess they don't compost very well after all.  I added it.  If a peach tree grows in the stock pot I will know the fairies did it!



Even found some rocks co-existing with the tomato plants.




I took the pot into the shop and drilled 5 more holes in the bottom.  I drilled the holes.  With Mr. Marvelous' drill.



Then added the rocks. 



 In our basement/shop/gardening area, we keep tubs of potting soil.  After we plant our seedlings, we often recycle the potting soil.  Sometimes that gives us a surprise later in the season!





I removed the whatever-it-was and added the potting soil on top of the rocks.



Guess I should have put my gloves back on first.

This is the hill on the east side of the house.  It is shaded, so it grows a lot of moss.  It's also the less steep side, so it is the route Mr. Marvelous takes to get the tiller from back to front. 


Wasn't it sweet of him to plow a furrow through the moss for me??



I love mossy areas!



Moss added to pot....
...and now the fun of adding different tchotchkes. 


I have a lot of them for all different seasons.


 I love that the cow farm wife has glasses and a hat!


 
I've had this girl since I was about 8.  She has to have a bunny, of course.
.
 And here they all are

 I'll be doing more with this.  Maybe a few tiny little flowering plants.  Maybe a little house.  I don't know that all the figures are going to stay.  I don't know if I am going to change things out periodically or just make more gardens when I want something different.  I have started another little one around one of the cedar trees.  It's just a fun way to get outside and get my hands in the dirt without being overwhelmed by a large area where the weeds get away from me.  I think this pot will be pretty easy to keep weeded!



No comments: