Thursday, August 27, 2015

Canning Journal

Do you remember the year of tomatoes?  That year when Mr. Marvelous had over SIXTY tomato plants?

I think I overdid the emphasis on that because this year he planted not quite thirty.  It was also not a best-year-ever for tomatoes.  So far I have canned a mere three quarts of tomatoes from the garden.  Sigh.  Not very impressive, is it?

Yesterday I drove up Chandler Mountain.  This little mountain community is known as The Garden of St. Clair County.  It is a lovely place and they have a micro-climate in which tomatoes thrive.  There are two or three tomato farms up there and these are my little homesteading secret.  When we don't produce enough tomatoes in the garden for me to can, I scoot up to Steele, run up the mountain and buy tomatoes.  Shh.  It's our little secret, okay?  Would you believe that I planned this so that I could support a local small business?  I didn't think so.  That is a side benefit of our crop being so underwhelming this year though.  

As I said, yesterday I ran up to Chandler Mountain and bought two boxes of paste tomatoes.  Guess what I will be doing all day tomorrow?  If you don't hear from me by Monday you might need to call out the St. Bernards; I may be buried under an avalanche of tomatoes!

 

No comments: