Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Jack South

Poor Jack!


Let me begin by assuring you that Jack is physically fine.  He is whole without cracks, dents, or dings.  Jack has not even had any near-hits or accidents.  Physically, he is fine.

However, Jack is mentally and emotionally not so fine.  

It was decided a number of days ago that my mother and I had to go to Vermont to see my dear Aunt.  We put the trip together remarkably quickly (I did not know I could make that many arrangements that fast!).  One week after making this decision, I got up and hit the road.  I drove to South Carolina, spent the night with my parents and the next day Mother and I caught the train and started our week-long adventure.

Jack knew what was going on.  It would not have been possible to hide the information.  I was making train reservations while booking rental car, hotel rooms, calling AAA, calling the Nursing Home, cleaning house, doing laundry, cooking meals for my men-folk to have while I was gone (the only thing I forgot was the Ovaltine).  I was packing, paying bills, mailing the things that had to go out before I came home again, doing what I could to help Mr. Marvelous with the gardens and the animals.....well.  The list seemed endless and you can imagine how lovely a nice, long, relaxing train ride was starting to sound.  As I said, there was no effort made to keep this trip a deep, dark secret. 

The cats were sulking.


The bunnies were confused (that's nothing new)



And Mama was BUSY.

Jack took it all in stride.  He knew he had nothing to worry about!  He is a star.  Mama would not dare to travel without him.

The day came for me to drive to South Carolina.  The bags were packed and loaded.  I was packed (but not loaded).  I took my purse and the last few items ~ including coffee! ~ and got in the car.

This is what I found.


Jack has become acclimated to the South.  Grab a Mountain Dew and a snack and strap in.  Especially when Mama is driving.

Away we went.  We got to my parents' house in time for supper.  I unloaded my car.  Jack patiently waited.  And waited.  And waited.

I DID NOT forget Jack.  I suppose in a way that makes it even worse.

If you have been following my blog for very long, you might remember this post.  I certainly remember the backpack that gained more weight than I did.  Therefore I made the difficult choice to leave Jack in South Carolina.  

The reason I chose not to leave him in the house is because my parents have a rather curious little Westie.  Toby is not bashful about "claiming" new friends.  Jack does not need a shower.  So Jack was left safely in the car with a can of Mountain Dew and a snack.

I imagine I will have to listen to some interesting comments when I return. 

My shoulder does not miss him.

My camera does.

No comments: