Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Names

If you are new to the blog and my names project, there is an explanation of it here




I have been reading through Psalms again recently.  I came to this passage in Psalm 28:

"Blessed be the Lord!
     For He has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
     in Him my heart trusts and I am helped;
my heart exults,
     and with my song I give thanks to Him.
The Lord is the strength of His people;
     He is the saving refuge of His anointed.
Oh, save your people and bless your heritage!
     Be their shepherd and carry them forever."                              Psalm 28:6-9

There are a lot of names and descriptions of God in this passage ~ all of which I need to remember this week

God is:
  1. Blessed
  2. The Lord
  3. The One Who hears
  4. Merciful
  5. The Lord
  6. MY Strength
  7. MY Shield
  8. Trust-worthy
  9. Helper
  10. The Lord
  11. The Strength of His people
  12. The saving refuge of His anointed
  13. Saviour
  14. The One Who blesses
  15. Their Shepherd
The thing that really jumps out at me this time is that these descriptions are personalized.  He is MY strength.  He is MY shield.  He is the strength of HIS people.  He is the saving refuge of HIS anointed.   He is the shepherd of HIS people.

God is a very personal God.  The One who made everything and keeps everything in place from the largest macrocosm to the smallest microcosm is a personal God.  He KNOWS us.  He CARES about us.  Can you imagine?  He is never too busy with really important stuff to pay attention to the least of His children.  It's not just a matter of "Oh yeah, you are over there and need this; here ~ I'll toss it to you.  Catch!".  No, it is Him hearing my cries and coming to me, kneeling down and picking me up and carrying me.  Giving me His strength.  Shielding me from the enemies around me.  Saving me.  Carrying me.  Blessing me.  Loving me.  Giving me the strength to stand when I want to collapse.  Giving me the courage to fight when I want to run.  My place of refuge.

That is Who I serve.

His peace to your home.                  

No comments: