Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Books


It is hard to find good books to read that I have not already read.  I did not realize how hard until I asked the question on Facebook one day, "Anyone have a favorite book?  Prefer Christian and prefer NOT romance novels".

Every single book that was suggested was one I had already read. 

I have since found the Christy Awards website  (although the Wikipedia page can be less cluttered and confusing in my opinion).

I have also discovered  the Novel Crossings page which lists award winners from several different awards.

Both of these have been helpful and both have led me to some authors I would never have stumbled across otherwise.

One of my new favorite authors is Chris Fabry.  I started with his book June Bug, about a little girl traveling with her father who finds herself on the Walmart wall of missing children.  It is the second of a trilogy, but I read this one first and had no trouble figuring out the different characters.  Mr. Fabry gives credit to Les Mis and I can see some influence there, but it is a unique and charming story on its own.  Perhaps I like it so much because it ends in the Appalachian Mountains.  Perhaps it is just because Mr. Fabry is an excellent story-teller.  Likely it is a combination of both.

I have read all three of his Dogwood stories, and Every Waking Moment.  Now that was a story with which I connected.  I enjoy the way the plot unfolds.  There are a few twists and turns along the way, but that is not overdone.  The characters are nicely developed. Check out the link above for an in-depth review.

It looks like this weekend will be a good one to curl up on the porch with a cup of coffee and a good book.  I hope you find these suggestions helpful!



No comments: