Tuesday, October 28, 2014

New Friend

Recently Mr. Marvelous and I traveled to South Carolina to visit my parents.  We had a lovely time that included a brief stay at the beach.

We had an unexpected encounter while we were there.  We went to Walmart one morning and while we were there we met a gentleman (I use that term lightly).  He was a little....different.  He seemed to be imploring us to give him shelter.  After a quick conference, we decided that he did indeed need a home, and that we were indeed the people to provide him with the refuge he so desperately needed.

We discovered that his current residence was being revitalized to make room for some new occupants.  I didn't quite catch all the details, but there was something about making room for more appealing clientele in the neighborhood.  We were asked by the developers if we couldn't help out some of his neighbors, but as there were about 50 of them we had to decline.  He promised that they would be no trouble and would not take up much room, but when he asked us to pay him for the privilege of providing these unfortunates with a place to live, we had to be firm.

He was rather quiet on the way back to my parents.  I wondered if he was a little nervous about meeting my folks.  We have since learned that he is always pretty quiet.  I'm beginning to think he may have been the victim of some nefarious experimentation that perhaps destroyed his ability to communicate verbally.

We also discovered that he absolutely LOVES having his picture made.  Personally, I think this is a desperate attempt to find his family and be reunited with them.  We have found solid evidence that he came here from China.  I think he was separated from his family on the trip over and is still trying to reconnect with them.

I am pleasantly surprised at his cheerful demeanor.  He always seems to have a smile on his face, no matter what the situation.  The developer who was trying so hard to convince us to bring him home was right; he doesn't eat much and he really isn't any trouble at all.

As long as you don't mind the constant photo-bombs.

Since he is unable to tell us his name, we chose one for him after much thought.  He smiled when we told him what we had chosen, so I guess he is happy with it.

Meet Jack South.


He likes to hang around with the animals


He's a little quirky at times


My men think he's pretty "chill"

 I think he's going to fit right in to our house.

You will be seeing a lot more of him in the days to come!


No comments: