Monday, June 02, 2014

Monday Memories: A Shooting Star

I had four wonderful Grandparents and I treasure the heritage they have passed on to my siblings and my cousins and me.

One year my sisters and I got to go spend several days with my Granny and Grandaddy (my Dad's parents) in Weaverville, North Carolina.  It was a fun place to go stay.  Their home was so close to one of my Aunt Janet that we could walk down the street and around the corner and be there.  Between Aunt Janet (the "fun" aunt) and Granny and Grandaddy, we were spoiled rotten that week.  Even better, there were cousins to play with ~ as long as Scott didn't get too close with that snake he had!

One evening Granny needed to check on a friend and take her a meal, so we all piled in the car to ride with them.  It was late at night ~ probably after 6:00 pm! ~ and I was sleepy.  Grandaddy told us to watch out the window and we might see a shooting star.  Right on cue, one went streaking across the sky.  It was the first shooting star I ever saw, and I have never forgotten that moment.  I'm not sure whether I was more excited about really getting to see one, or if my Grandparents were more excited that they got to show me the first one I ever saw.

Now every time I go out at night to look at the stars and hope to see a meteor, I think about my Grandparents and what a gift from God they continue to be to me and all their grandchildren.  I hope and pray that I will be that kind of grandparent to my own one-day grandchildren. 


No comments: