Monday, July 27, 2015

Company and "Oops" Brownies

Mr. Marvelous and I had company for dinner Sunday.  I love having people over after church; it is how I was raised.  There may have been 7 in our family, but it seems like there were always 10+ at the dinner table on Sundays.  That's just how things were done in the preacher's house back then and Mom still has company over more often than not.

Saturday I spent cleaning and getting ready.  I couldn't decide what to make for dessert but by the time I got the housework ~ and oh yeah I was making watermelon pickles ~ finished, I decided to go the easy, popular route and make brownies.  I modified my old stand-by brownie recipe and cut it in half.  You know what's coming, don't you?  I pulled them out of the oven, set them on the counter to cool, and went to bed.

Sunday morning as I was putting a few final touches on everything, I decided to go ahead and cut the brownies and put them on a pretty plate to serve.  Fortunately I made this decision early.  They cut fine, but when I tried to pull them out of the baking dish they looked like this:

These were not going on a plate; they were nothing but crumbs.  And I had nothing else to offer.  Not even any fruit or ice cream.  I started thinking.  What does one do with brownie crumbs??  Perhaps a brownie trifle?

I started thinking some more.  I have a great recipe for pudding that I found here (this lady has some fantastic recipes).  I started making the pudding.

While I was stirring, I thought about how good strawberries are with chocolate.  It just so happens that I have one or two (!) jars of strawberry jam.

The final product was crumbled brownies, a thin layer of strawberry jam (and I think raspberry would have been delicious too),

topped with one recipe of vanilla pudding.

It was a hit!

 Maybe next time I'll add some whipped cream on top....

No comments: