Friday, September 06, 2013

September Harvest

I did mention that weather-wise it has been an unusual year, right?  This week Tuesday was Get-Out-In-The-Garden-Day.

Where I found this many green beans,


 About three times this many zipper peas (Mr. Marvelous got a little enthusiastic with shelling them before I could grab a photo),


And this many tomatoes!


That translated into 11 pints of green beans, a gallon-size ziplock of peas, and several tomato sandwiches a batch of stewed tomatoes.

There are no pictures of the hot peppers that got picked, but they filled a bucket the size of the one the tomatoes are in.  I made 18 half-pints of hot-pepper jelly without making much of a dent in them.

Two of the three fig trees are loaded with green figs.  They have teased me like this before in the late summer/early fall, so I'm not getting my hopes up.  Much.

Sometime in the next few weeks I'll be going to a local orchard to get some apples and pumpkins to put up.  That will let me make fried apple pies for Mr. Marvelous and Pumpkin Spice Lattes for me. 

Then he can munch on pies while I sip Lattes as we dream about next year's garden!

No comments: