Monday, August 05, 2013

Monday Memories ~ Books

It was a very late night (story later) and it will be a long day with laundry, general Monday housework, garden, canning and (hopefully) bees.  But here are some quick Monday Memories.

Growing up one of the things I often got in trouble about was books; whether it was reading one under the covers with a flashlight after lights out, keeping a library book too long, or reading one during Mrs. Taylor's 8th grade Science class.  I have been, am, and will continue to be, a bookworm.  I love the way they smell and feel.  I love the sound of turning pages.  I greet books like the old friends that they are.  I re-read books.  I enjoy books.  And libraries?  Well!

Here are some of the books that were a big part of my early growing up years in no particular order:

Make Way For Ducklings
This was the first book that was my own, a gift from Dad and Mom.  Mom grew up in Boston, so we had great fun looking at the book together and her telling me about her adventures along the same path that the ducklings took.

The Little Princess 

Hitty: Her First Hundred Years

Betsy-Tacy and the rest of the series by Maud Hart Lovelace

Mine For Keeps

The Little Engine that Could

The Pushcart War

The Narnia Chronicles


Caddie Woodlawn

The Boxcar Children

The Country Bunny and the Little Gold Shoes

Heidi

Alice in Wonderland

King of the Wind  my second book

Little House books

Nothing Ever Happens on My Block

The Cow Who Fell In The Canal I had a Dutch uncle who got tickled at being asked to translate.

The House of Arden and Hardings Luck by E. Nesbitt (her other books, too)

The Secret Garden

Curious George  I can still make a hat and a boat out of newpaper!

The Wind In the Willows

All of a Kind Family Series 
 
The Hobbit
I loved the Hobbit.  Mom read it to me when I was very little (probably around 7).  Unfortunately, she couldn't wait to get to the Lord of the Rings, and we dove into that when I was about 8.  Even for me, that was a little young.  I got back to it and re-read it when I was probably around 12 and have loved it ever since.

It is a law in our home that you do NOT see the movie until you read the book.  If I find that you have seen the movie before reading the book, I will probably scold you.  I mean well.  I just can't help myself. 

As you can see, I have a strong preference for books written before 1950!

No comments: