Friday, April 10, 2009

I have a very dear friend who asked me years ago to share with her our family's traditions for Christmas and Easter. We do have a few that are meaningful to me (and hopefully the boys!) and may seem silly to anyone else. I would encourage you to start your own traditions if you have not already done so and to post a comment and share them with me if you would like.

Today is Good Friday, so that means this morning started with Hot Cross Buns. If you have never tried them, they are very easy to make and I'll be happy to share my Mama's recipe if you'll send me an email or post a comment.
On Maundy Thursday or Good Friday I fix lamb and we spend time at dinner thinking about and talking about the cross. We are no longer bound to find a "perfect" lamb to offer at least once a year for the atonement of our sins. The price has been paid once for all time. Any attempt to do something on our own power and strength to offer atonement is like telling God that Jesus' work on the cross was not enough and we have to add to it. Stop and think about that for a moment!
On Easter we celebrate with ham and remember that we are no longer bound by the ceremonial food laws that God gave his people. This year we'll celebrate with our family here in town and enjoy a meal with them.

Have a blessed weekend and above all else, remember that because of Jesus Christ, and through His life and death and resurrection, Death Is Ended! (I Corinthians 15)

No comments: