"Are you alright?"
"Did you sleep well?"
"Were you ill?"
"Did you stay up too late?"
"How late were you up?"
At this he looked a little sheepish and finally confessed, "I think it might have been until 3?"
"Uhm. Yes Ma'am?"
"Why in the world were you up until three o'clock in the morning??!!"
"Uhm, well, remember when we went to the library yesterday? I found a book."
"Oh. Okay." What could I say at this point? He was being just like me!
"Well, what book was it?"
"Ohhhhhh.....I see! How many pages is that book?"
"I think it is about three or four hundred pages. I didn't start reading it until after supper and I just couldn't stop and then it was really, really late, but I thought I could finish it, so I did. And you said I could not watch the movie til I finished the book......"
"It is a good book. Did you like it?"
(grinning now) "Yes Ma'am, it was great!"
We talked about what he had learned, which included things like,
- Was that really what things were like then, or was that just what the author thought things were like back then?
- The issue of slavery during the time of Jesus and in the Roman Empire
- As a nurse, had I ever had a patient with leprosy?
- What was leprosy anyway?
- Could such a story really have happened?
- What was the plot of the book (you get that answer by saying something innocuous like, "Tell me about the book; it's been a long time since I have read it....")
Just for the record, it is still not that unusual for someone in our house to be up until midnight ~ or later ~ to finish a good book. We do have a few of them!
|Photo Courtesy of Designed To Improve Life. I just WISH it were my library!|