Sunday, March 29, 2009

A while back I talked a little bit about stewardship and how it is not just the way we spend our money but affects every area of life. This morning I was thinking about mental energy and where I have been pouring my mental energy lately. I have two major wasters of that; the first is computer solitaire (and how silly is that?!). The second is fretting over mistakes (like spending too much time on computer solitaire). Our son is now almost 20 years old. He is an amazing young man. He understands who he is (a child of God) and to Whom he belongs (our Heavenly Father). Yet I get caught up in little things, like "What did I do wrong to create this or that personality glitch?" "Why didn't I do a better job as a mother teaching him about this or that?" The Mama blame-game can be endless and it is a WASTE OF TIME! If I am really that concerned over something I see or a mistake I think I have made it is a much better use of my time to go to my closet, get on my knees or my face and PRAY.
For years I have battled the "what if" demon and its attempt to control my mind, so once again I am in a season when I will have to recite these two verses (and please forgive me if one of them seems out of context; it is a little bit, but I think the principle applies).

Philippians 3:12-14 (NIV)emphasis mine
12 Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

II Corinthians 10:5b (NIV)
we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

No comments: