Monday, March 30, 2009

Have you ever been to church or Sunday School when the preacher was doing a series on the book of John's Revelation? It can be a very confusing and muddling book. How much is literal? What parts are figurative? Is it teaching a pre-millennial, an a-millennial or a post-millennial view? How are we to interpret the beasts? Who is the Anti-Christ? How are we to understand the book as a whole and the parts of the book?

A few years ago I figgered it all out and I'm going to tell you what I figgered. There are some very smart intellectual kinds of people (like the Marvelous Mark and Dashing Dan) who can study the book and understand the cognitive, intellectual, theological points. Good for them! But there is something else there. The book is choir practice! Think about it. How many songs are recorded in this one book that we will be singing in heaven? John clearly saw the saints and the angels singing these specific particular praises to God. Many of them are familiar and have been set to music by Georg F. Handel and other more contemporary saints. So over the next few weeks and months, I'm going to be working on learning these songs to get ready. These will be my memory verses....if I can stick with it and follow through. So for this week, here it is if you want to join me. This first one is so easy I feel like I ought to do an extra one, but here it is and if I decide to add an extra one I will post it later in the week.

Revelation 4:8 (NASB)
And the four living creatures, each one of them having six wings, are full of eyes around and within; and day and night they do not cease to say, "HOLY, HOLY, HOLY IS THE LORD GOD, THE ALMIGHTY, WHO WAS AND WHO IS AND WHO IS TO COME"

No comments: