Saturday, September 15, 2007

It has been a peculiar week this week. God is doing some work in our church to point out some areas that need work and that is not a comfortable process. I am convinced, however, that "comfortable" churches are not really doing God's work. I believe that finding the comfort of the Holy Spirit is much more important than being comfortable. As my dear husband likes to say, "Worship is not a spectator sport!". How often we walk into sanctuaries desiring to be entertained, rather than to worship the Only Living God Who is omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent.

Then Tuesday was a day to remember and mourn the tragedy of September 11, 2001. I think the even greater tragedy is how we as a culture seem to have forgotten that day and forgotten our resolve to do whatever it takes to combat these terrorists.

As I was standing on my front porch after raising our family's flag to half-staff, and praying for our men and women who are serving our country as heroes in the military, my husband came out with the phone in his hand and a troubled look on his face. It was my brother's wife (who is very much my sister) calling to tell me that her sister's husband had just had a massive heart attack and was not doing well. Nancy and her sisters grew up with us. Her sister Mary used to bring me paper dolls and play with me, despite our age difference. I attended her wedding when she and Tom married. Less than an hour later we heard that Tom was dead. What a blow! Google "Tom Oxendine" and see what his students thought of him! The funeral is today and I wish I could be there but my job is to stay here and pray.

Last night our son Mr. Marvelous Jr. called to report that this week at college was better than last week. Freshman year is so hard! There are so many transitions to make and it is hard not to worry that I have not done a very good job of teaching him when we homeschooled. We read the classics, discussed world-views of the author and learned how to find the world view. But I never taught him the elements of literature and that has come back to bite him. Sigh. Poor son!

He piped for the memorial service at the college on Tuesday. I wish I had some pictures of him piping for that, but maybe someone will post some on the college website or on Facebook.

I'll write more later about the funny stuff that has happened while trying to get some needlework going. For now, I'll close with this, from the Westminster Shorter Catechism.

Q. 1 What is the chief end of man?
A. Man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.

May all that we do today, all that we say, all that we think, bring glory and honour to the Most High God. May nothing we do, think or say bring shame or dishonour to His Name.

No comments: