Tuesday, October 28, 2008




I am behind in posting this but here I am again! It's going to take me a few days to post all the pictures of our little apartment. This is being an interesting adventure for all three of us (five if you include our kitties....who still think there might be monsters upstairs every time our neighbors walk around). When we decided to move to Birmingham we had a very brief time to find a place to live. That is how we spent Labor Day weekend. Did you know that apartment offices are closed on Labor Day? Did you know that a lot of people in Birmingham go out of town over Labor Day? So it was challenging to find houses for rent and be able to locate the owners in that brief time-frame. We had been living in a beautiful large house in Evans, with a wonderful land-lord (think brother-in-law). In so many ways it was my dream home and had so many features I had wished I could have for a long time. But there was one down-side; it took a lot of time and energy to keep clean. Unfortunately, it took more energy than I often had. I also sometimes felt guilty about having so much unused living space there. Mark and I would talk about scaling back in our living style, but in Evans we would not have saved any money by going smaller and we were tired of moving. So when we started thinking about moving to Birmingham, we started talking about scaling back, getting rid of "stuff" and utilizing smaller space. There are moments when I think we are nuts for trying this! There are times when we are walking through the apartment and one person going in one direction has to step into another room to allow another person going the opposite direction to pass, especially since the hall is part hall, part bookshelf (we got rid of some books, but that is one thing I refuse to downsize very much!). On the other hand, I can clean, vacuum, sweep, scrub the entire place in about 2 hours (mopping adds another 20 minutes to that, but that's because I'm a hands-and-knees-mopping kind of girl ;>)
Today's pictures are of our hallway with all the books in it. You are looking from our bedroom and as you look down the hall the kitchen is on the left and Dan's room on the right. At the end of the hall if you hang a right you will be in the living room. Tomorrow I'll show you some more. I love you, Noah!

No comments: