Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Nana's Scone Recipe (For Rixie)

Our culture has changed so dramatically over the past twenty years.  While I often fuss about Modern Technology and the way we seem to be so wired-in to our technology, there are some terrific benefits.

There is a lady in North Georgia who is my friend.  Rixie has been a great friend to me since we met in a Yahoo! group ~ yes, that's on the computer ~ about eight years ago.  We have met in person one time.  We correspond via facebook almost every day.  I have watched her children grow into some pretty impressive young folks.  She and I pray for each other through our similar health issues.  We share some common quirks and interests.  I have quoted her and linked to her blog several times.  I am always impressed with her gifts as a mother, a supportive wife, and an encouraging friend to more folks than I think she realizes.

So while I am not often a huge fan of technology, I am thankful for the technology that has allowed me to meet and get to know this lady and her family.

This is the scone recipe I promised her:

Nana's Scones

2 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 t. salt
2 t. baking powder
1/2 c. Crisco
1 egg
1/4 c. milk (more or less)
as many raisins as make you happy

Sift together flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.  Cut in fat with a fork or a pastry cutter until mixture is nice and crumbly.  Add well-beaten egg and raisins.  Mix in "enough" milk to make this the consistency of a biscuit or slightly thinner (don't you just love directions like that?!).
Roll out to about 1 inch thick and cut out.  You may bake at 375 for about 15 minutes (keep an eye on them), or you may cook in a lightly greased skillet on the stove on medium heat for about 10 minutes on the first side and 5 minutes on the second side.

This is making me hungry; I'm off to the kitchen to make a batch!

I realized after posting that it has been a while since I have made these so I thought I ought to do a quick run-through.  Here are a few notes.  1.  I added more sugar.  What can I say?  I like things a little sweeter   2.  The dough really does need to be the consistency of biscuit dough.  While I don't roll biscuits out (I just pat them into the size and shape I want in my hand), if they are too thin they are sticky and take longer to cook.  3.  I bake biscuits and such on a cast-iron skillet in the oven.  If you do this, you will need to turn them about half-way through the cooking so that they don't burn on the bottom ~ remember that cast-iron gets pretty hot in the oven!  4.  Lots of butter when you pull them out of the oven.  That's a must!  

NOTE: I realize that folks in the UK tend to make their dough for scones thin to the point of almost pourable. Mom's family were all from Canada so I suppose that explains the difference.  The kind that are poured into a scone mold are completely different; more of a pancake than a biscuit.

No comments: